Ever since I included eating better in my New Year’s Resolutions, I’ve been discovering lots of delicious, healthy recipes. I’ve been sharing my creations on social media and they’ve been receiving lots of attention; so I thought, why not share some of my favourite recipes with my readers?
Let’s face it, everyone loves pizza. For me it holds special cultural significance due to my Italian background. Eating pizza reminds me of family gatherings in my childhood when my Nonna would make massive platters of her famous secret recipe pizza which we would all dive into. Unfortunately, store bought or restaurant pizzas are often covered in fattening toppings and white pizza dough isn’t a great staple food for the carb conscious.
In the past I’ve attempted to make pita bread pizzas as a healthier alternative, but it’s just not the same as a crispy-on-the-outside-fluffy-on-the-inside ‘real’ pizza base.
When I stumbled across a recipe for Gluten-Free Vegan Pizza Crust on the Move Nourish Believe website, I was inspired to see if I could come up with something similar. Please note that my pizza crust recipe is not vegan, as I used Greek yogurt as an alternative to yeast for extra fluffiness. If you want fluffy vegan crust you could add a teaspoon of baking soda and/or a dash of soda water; adjusting recipes is all about experimenting to find what works!
As I’ve never made dough before, and healthier ingredients can be quite temperamental, I was terrified that I would fail spectacularly at making a healthier pizza, but I was very happy with the result! Just like a traditional pizza, this recipe is full of flavour and very filling.
Go on, try it yourself!
Cornbread Pizza [makes about 8 slices]
- 2 handfuls of roasted sweet potato slices
- 1 cup of corn flour
- 3/4 cup quinoa flakes
- Sprinkle of salt
- Sprinkle of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of LSA powder
- 1 tablespoon of Mixed Herbs
- 3 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
You can recreate any of the traditional favourites or try something new. I gave my pizza a gourmet twist by using left over Moroccan Tofu Tagine from the night before. You can see the recipe here (please note I substituted the chicken in the original recipe for tofu and I didn’t use beans.)
I also added a handful of lean leg ham and a handful of grated mozzarella.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In a good quality blender or food processor, mash the roasted sweet potato slices (I used the small jug of my Ninja Food Processor.)
- In a small bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons of LSA with 4 tablespoons of water. Put it aside to sit for five minutes.
- In large bowl, combine the mashed sweet potato with the soaked LSA, corn flour, quinoa flakes salt, pepper and mixed herbs. Stir to combine. The mixture should be a little bit dry but sticking together slightly.
- Stir through three tablespoons of Greek Yogurt.
- Spread the mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Aim for a medium sized round pizza and make the edges a little thicker than the centre to hold your toppings in place and create a delicious crust!
- Sprinkle your toppings of choice evenly over the pizza base. I spread the Morrocan Tofu Tagine over the base first then sprinkled the ham and mozzarella on top. Add an extra sprinkle of salt and pepper, if you wish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the toppings and edges of the base are crisp.
- Once slightly cooled, slice and enjoy your healthy pizza! Nom nom nom nom.
Let me know if you try out the recipe! Would love to hear your thoughts and see some pics of your creations!